Carlette Gibson, Chief Magistrate
P.O. Box 667
45 South Lumpkin Street, Suite 105
Hawkinsville, GA 31036
Phone (478) 783-1357
Fax (478) 783-2989
If you have been unable to resolve a dispute with a person or a business, you may take your problem to Magistrate’s Court. Magistrate’s Court, also called Small Claims Court, is an informal court that handles money claims for less than $15,000.00. This court offers a quick and inexpensive process for complaint resolution. Examples of problems often taken to the Magistrate’s Court include:
- A tenant refusing to pay for damages in excess of the security deposit.
- A landlord failing to return a security deposit.
- A merchant refusing to replace, repair, or refund faulty merchandise.
- A person refusing to return money or property borrowed from another.
- A dry cleaner refusing to pay for lost or damaged clothing.
- A person refusing to pay for repairs after denting someone’s fender.
- An auto mechanic charging for work not done, unnecessary repairs, or faulty workmanship.
You may file a claim in Magistrate’s Court in your own name without an attorney, or you may hire an attorney at your expense. Magistrate’s Court cases are heard and decided by a judge without a jury.
Schedule of Fees
Civil Case Suits
- $96.00 (one defendant)
- $96.00 (two defendants, same address)
- $146.00 (two defendants, different addresses)
Fieri Facias (FiFa) $29.00
Pre-application for Warrant $20.00
Deposit Account Fraud $20.00
Affidavit of Garnishment
Affidavit of Continuing Garnishment
Application for Writ of Possession
Attachment for Summons of Garnishment
Certificate of Service Upon the Defendant
Foreclosure of Personal Property
Plaintiff’s Application for Disbursement of Funds
Procedures for Filing Garnishments
Right Against Garnishment
Summons of Garnishment
Statement of Claim